A teen has been killed in what is Worcester's first homicide of 2018 after a full year of no firearm fatalities.
Worcester police say authorities found a 16-year-old boy with a gunshot wound being tended to by four other boys on Main Street late Saturday night.
He was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to a local hospital, where he died. The victim's identity has not been released.
Investigators found ballistic evidence on Holland Road, and said the teen boys were walking back to a nearby home when several shots rang out.
Neighbors told police they thought it sounded like fireworks going off nearby.
After the shooting, a male was seen getting into a small vehicle and then driving away from the scene. Police are looking for a description of the male and the vehicle.
Anyone with information about Saturday's deadly shooting is asked to call Worcester police detectives at 508-799-8651 or submit an anonymous text to 274637 (TIPWPD) and then type the message.
Last year, there were 25 people shot in Worcester. None of them died. MassLive.com reports that police said 2017 was the first year in more than 25 years Worcester didn't see a homicide by firearm.