The 2022-23 NHL season is officially here and the excitement will commence internationally as the San Jose Sharks battle the Nashville Predators in the 2022 NHL Global Series.
The Colorado Avalanche will have to wait to make their Stanley Cup title defense, as Nashville and San Jose will kickstart this hockey season with a two-game series set to take place on Oct. 7 and 8 in Prague, Czech Republic.
There’s a lot to look forward to on the ice this season, so let’s take a look at some important information to keep tabs on before Oct. 7 comes our way.
Get New England news, weather forecasts and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NECN newsletters.
Here’s a breakdown of everything you need to know about the upcoming NHL season, including each team’s first opponent and matchup date:
When is the 2022-23 NHL regular season?
Opening day of the 2022-23 NHL regular season begins with a series of international games for the 2022 NHL Global Series.
Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics and more
The 2022 NHL Global Series consists of four teams: the Avalanche, San Jose Sharks, Nashville Predators and Columbus Blue Jackets.
Nashville and San Jose will play their season openers against each other in Prague, Czech Republic at O2 Arena on Oct. 7 and 8 in a double-header.
The NH returns to the States on Oct. 11 for a double-header to continue the regular season. The New York Rangers will host the Tampa Bay Lightning during the day, while the Las Vegas Golden Knights will head west to meet the Los Angeles Kings for the late game.
When does hockey’s regular season end?
The NHL’s regular season ends on April 13, 2023 with 15 games on the schedule.
When is the 2023 NHL All-Star Game?
The 2023 NHL All-Star Game is slated for Feb. 4, 2023 in FLA Live Arena, home of the Florida Panthers, with the All-Star Skills Challenge taking place the day before on Feb. 3, 2023.
When do the NHL playoffs begin?
The 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs, including the Stanley Cup Final, have yet to be released, however this part of the action will begin shortly after the regular season ends on April 13.
When is each hockey team’s 2022 home opener?
Here are the home opener’s for each team:
- Anaheim Ducks vs. Seattle Kraken: October 12
- Arizona Coyotes vs. Winnipeg Jets: October 28
- Boston Bruins vs. Arizona Coyotes: October 15
- Buffalo Sabres vs. Ottawa Senators: October 13
- Calgary Flames vs. Colorado Avalanche: October 13
- Carolina Hurricanes vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: October 12
- Chicago Blackhawks vs. Detroit Red Wings: October 21
- Colorado Avalanche vs. Chicago Blackhawks: October 12
- Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Tampa Bay Lightning: October 14
- Dallas Stars vs. Nashville Predators: October 15
- Detroit Red Wings vs. Montreal Canadiens: October 14
- Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks: October 12
- Florida Panthers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: October 19
- Los Angeles Kings vs. Vegas Golden Knights: October 11
- Minnesota Wild vs. New York Rangers: October 13
- Montreal Canadiens vs. Toronto Maple Leafs: October 12
- Nashville Predators vs. Dallas Stars: October 13
- New Jersey Devils vs. Detroit Red Wings: October 15
- New York Islanders vs. Florida Panthers: October 13
- New York Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning: October 11
- Ottawa Senators vs. Boston Bruins: October 18
- Philadelphia Flyers vs. New Jersey Devils: October 13
- Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Arizona Coyotes: October 13
- San Jose Sharks vs. Carolina Hurricanes: October 14
- Seattle Kraken vs. Vegas Golden Knights: October 15
- St. Louis Blues vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: October 15
- Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Philadelphia Flyers: October 18
- Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Washington Capitals: October 13
- Vancouver Canucks vs. Buffalo Sabres: October 22
- Vegas Golden Knights vs. Chicago Blackhawks: October 13
- Washington Capitals vs. Boston Bruins: October 12
- Winnipeg Jets vs. New York Rangers: October 14
What are some key dates for the 2022-23 NHL season?
The opening week of the NHL season will come and pass as it always does in the fall. Here are some other dates to watch out for this winter:
- 2023 NHL Winter Classic: Jan. 2, 2023 at Fenway Park (Bruins vs. Penguins)
- 2023 NHL All-Star Game: Feb. 4, 2023 at FLA Live Arena (home of the Panthers)
- NHL Stadium Series game: Feb. 18, 2023 at Carter-Finley Stadium (Hurricanes vs. Capitals)
- Final day of regular season: April 13, 2023
- 2023 NHL Draft: June 28-29, 2023