Fire Destroys Historic Hall in North Yarmouth, Maine

View Comments ()



    Wescutogo Hall has been site of weddings, dinners, cub scout meetings and school dances (Published Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014)

    (NECN: Marnie MacLean) - A building that served as the heart of a small Maine town was destroyed by fire Thursday night.

    A passer-by noticed the flames coming out of Wescustogo Hall just before midnight. Firefighters from five towns responded to the fire, but they couldn't save the building.

    Built in the 1950's as a Grange Hall, Wescustogo has served as a community gathering spot for decades.

    It has been the site of weddings, dinners, cub scout meetings and many school dances over the years.

    Nearly every resident has a connection to the hall, and many  were feeling both nostalgic and sad as they stopped by to watch an excavator tear down what little remained of the building after the fire.

    No one was injured in the fire. Investigators say it started in the front of the building near the electrical panels and the office, but the damage was too extensive to pinpoint a cause for the fire.