A 60-year-old man is dead after a fire at a New Hampshire apartment building, and fire crews also say they rescued a 1-year-old child from another first floor unit.
The fire broke out around 3 pm Wednesday at 305 Amherst St. in Manchester.
The 60-year-old man was not able to make it out and was found dead, firefighters say, on his kitchen floor, despite the fire breaking out in a bedroom.
No other units caught fire, but officials say smoke filled the building.
As for the 1-year-old child, District Chief Mike Gamache said the little girl, named Olivia, was looking out the window when they spotted her in the apartment alone.
"They entered one apartment on the first floor and discovered a one year old child in that apartment alone. Mom was somewhere on the outside, but they were able to remove that little girl to safety," said District Chief Gamache, adding, "About a minute later they ended up finding mom and handing her over ... Police are looking into that, why the circumstances were the way they were."
Lacresha Bonds, the child's mom, tells NECN her daughter was never by herself, and that she wasn't removed from the apartment by firefighters.
"She was next to me the whole entire time, because she didn't have on any clothes, I had her with me the whole entire time," said Bonds.
Manchester Police are investigating those circumstances.
Fire Chief James Burkush believes the cause of the fire is from accidental smoking.
They say they're waiting on autopsy results to get exact cause of death for the unnamed 60-year-old victim.