Dartmouth Dorm to Stay Closed After Hibachi Grill Blaze | NECN

Dartmouth Dorm to Stay Closed After Hibachi Grill Blaze

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBC10
    A firefighter battles a warehouse fire in Delanco, N.J.

    Officials at Dartmouth College say a dormitory set ablaze by a hibachi-style grill left unattended will stay closed through at least the fall.

    The Valley News reports that officials said Monday they're still determining the extent and cost of the damage at Morton Hall. President Phil Hanlon says the building is "no longer habitable."

    Investigators say the flames were sparked by a charcoal grill left unattended at the time of the fire on Saturday. Officials said 300 students in a residential "cluster," including the 70 students in the affected dorm, escaped without injuries. The 70 were relocated.

    Records show that replacing the entire building will cost about $4.2 million.

    The school's website says charcoal grills are among items not allowed in student dorm rooms. It's unclear whether the students responsible will be disciplined.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android