Defective Flue Pipe Sparks Fire - NECN
New Hampshire

New Hampshire

The latest news from around the state

Defective Flue Pipe Sparks Fire

Fire officials in Manchester, New Hampshire, say a metal flue discharging embers into a wall sparked a house fire Thursday evening

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Defective Flue Pipe Sparks Fire
    File Photo

    Fire officials in Manchester, New Hampshire, say a metal flue discharging embers into a wall sparked a house fire Thursday evening.

    Crews responded to the scene at 636 Amherst St. at 6 p.m. after receiving a 911 call.

    Firefighters observed sparks coming from the chimney area of the roof. Upon investigation it was discovered the metal flue in the walls separated over time and discharged embers into the wall.

    Firefighters opened the roof and walls to put out the fire.

    There was no power to the home at the time the fire was reported.

    The homeowners were out for the holiday and their son was watching the home for the family.

    The cause of the fire has been determined as accidental due to the flue pipe.

    The damage is estimated to be at $15,000. The home is still habitable.
     

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.