Dozens Exposed to Carbon Monoxide at Social Hall | NECN
Rhode Island

Rhode Island

The latest news from around the state

Dozens Exposed to Carbon Monoxide at Social Hall

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Dozens Exposed to Carbon Monoxide at Social Hall

    Dozens of people are recovering after they were exposed to carbon monoxide at an East Providence, Rhode Island, social hall.

    Fire officials say they responded Saturday evening to the Holy Ghost Beneficial Brotherhood hall after someone passed out in a bathroom. Officials say their carbon monoxide detectors went off when they arrived.

    Nearly 50 people went to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. Four people who had left the social hall called the fire department from home later to report symptoms. About 250 people total attended the event.

    None of the victims suffered life-threatening symptoms.

    Officials say carbon monoxide levels in the hall were about 300 parts per million, enough to cause headaches and nausea. They say the problem stemmed from a heating appliance in the building.

    The incident remains under investigation. 

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.