Republican Maine Gov. Paul LePage's administration is defending its policy of placing recipients' photos on cards used to access food stamp benefits after the federal government threated to cut administrative funding for the program.
In a Dec. 18 letter to the Food and Nutrition Service obtained by The Associated Press, Maine Department of Health and Human Services Commissioner Mary Mayhew criticized the agency for consistently putting up "roadblocks and barriers" in the state's effort. She says said Maine remains "firmly committed" to using the new electronic benefit transfer cards to prevent fraud and abuse.
Federal officials warned last month that the administration risks losing funding to administer the program unless it makes several changes, like making clear to recipients that having their photos placed on electronic benefit transfer cards is optional.