Woman Dead, Man Hospitalized in New Hampshire Duplex Fire | NECN
New Hampshire

New Hampshire

The latest news from around the state

Woman Dead, Man Hospitalized in New Hampshire Duplex Fire

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Woman Dead, Man Hospitalized in New Hampshire Duplex Fire
    Derry Fire Department

    New Hampshire fire officials say a woman is dead and a man was hospitalized after a fire in a Derry duplex.

    The woman who died has been identified as 62-year-old Arlene Evans. The cause of death was determined to be smoke inhalation and the manner of death was accidental.

    Derry fire chief Michael Gagnon says fire and rescue officials were called to the scene of a fire at a duplex home on Bypass 28 at 10:05 p.m. Thursday.

    Both victims were located on the second floor of the home. He said crews were hampered by "hoarding conditions." The fire is believed to have started as a result of smoking materials in close proximity to medical oxygen.

    The man was transported to Parkland Medical Center in Salem for treatment. His name has not been released.

    Fire damage was contained to the second floor of the duplex.

    Gagnon says emergency crews from six communities, including Manchester, assisted in the fire and rescue operations. 

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.