New Hampshire

NH Pedestrian Struck After Driver Allegedly Overdoses on Heroin

Matthew Pike, 24, was arrested after he was treated with Narcan

A New Hampshire man is recovering after getting hit by a car allegedly driven by a man who passed out from a heroin overdose in Manchester on Thursday afternoon.

Police arrested Matthew Pike, 24, of Northfield, shortly after the crash on Bedford Street and after first responders treated him with Narcan.

"We provided trauma care to the man who was struck and we administered Narcan to the driver who was exhibiting signs of an overdose," said Chris Hickey, Manchester's emergency management supervisor.

Hickey said the victim was walking on the sidewalk with his friends at about 4:30 p.m. when he heard a car coming up behind them.

"The guy that was struck, he could tell by looking through the windshield real quick that the guy was unconscious and there was no attempt to swerve or move the vehicle or slow down or stop," Hickey explained.

He said Pike had jumped the curb and pinned the victim up against a tree.

"If it had not been a 30-year-old gentleman, but perhaps a 13-year-old kid, it could've killed the kid instantly," said Hickey.

The victim, who has not been publicly identified, is still in the hospital with a broken pelvis.

"You're playing Russian roulette with your life," said April Bond, who witnessed the aftermath of the crash. "His car was al the way up on the curb."

The incident has Manchester mom Tiffany Albert worried sick about her children. She's sending a message to those struggling with addiction.

"I know it's not easy to stop, but if you want to do your drugs, don't be doing it and driving because you’re putting other people at risk," Albert said.

Police found heroin in Pike's vehicle and charged him with reckless conduct, possession of a controlled drug, and operating under the influence. Pike was held without bail on an outstanding warrant from Merrimack County following his arraignment Friday at Hillsborough County Superior Court-North.

The victim's friends stopped by the scene Friday evening and told NBC10 Boston that the whole incident was surreal and they feel lucky he wasn't killed. They say their buddy is a big Red Sox fan and will be watching the Sox from his hospital bed.

Contact Us