Officials say a carbon monoxide leak in a furnace is responsible for the deaths of a father and son inside an Acushnet, Massachusetts, home Wednesday.
Authorities say they received a call from a woman trying to reach her ex-husband, identified as 41-year-old Joseph Lopes, and her son, Collin, living at 3 Buttonwood Lane just after 8 a.m. Wednesday.
Officials eventually found their bodies inside the home around 10:30 a.m. Police say two dogs, one dead and one very ill, were also found inside the home.
The latest news from around the state
Acushnet Fire Chief Kevin Gallagher said there were no working CO detectors in the home. He added that there were mounting plates for smoke detectors, but no smoke detectors were found either.
"The occupants had no indications the CO levels were steadily increasing," he said.
State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey said people should always have working CO detectors and should test and replace them if need be.
The investigation is ongoing.