New England Mobster Anthony St. Laurent Dies at 75

St. Laurent died at a hospital in Providence of what appears to be natural causes

New England mobster Anthony "The Saint'' St. Laurent, who was convicted of trying to hire someone to kill a rival mafia member, died Monday, two weeks after being released from federal prison. He was 75. 

St. Laurent died at a hospital in Providence of what appears to be natural causes, said Richard Tamburini, police chief in Johnston, where St. Laurent lived. 

"He had well-documented illnesses for a long time,'' Tamburini said. "He was very sick when he was released from prison.''

Tamburini called him "one of the old-school wise guys.''

St. Laurent was a captain in the Patriarca crime family and had a long criminal record dating to 1961, including convictions for running a multistate gambling operation from a Kentucky prison cell and for conspiring to extort $50,000 from two men by threatening them with physical violence. 

He pleaded guilty in 2011 to attempting to orchestrate a hit on rival mobster Bobby DeLuca after DeLuca accused St. Laurent of being a government informant, which St. Laurent denied. 

When he entered his plea, St. Laurent acknowledged trying to hire a person who ended up being an FBI informant to carry out the plot. 

According to court documents in the case, the informant secretly recorded their conversations. A partial transcript showed St. Laurent wanted the hit man to shoot DeLuca in the head but not before delivering a message. 

"Say: `This is from The Saint,''' he told him. 

The hit never happened. St. Laurent, who appeared in court in a wheelchair and using an oxygen tank, said he only intended to "scare'' DeLuca. His lawyer told the judge his client was penniless and the plot was the product of a ``senseless feud'' between two older men that never came close to being carried out. 

The judge described the plan as "clownish,'' then sentenced St. Laurent to seven years in prison. 

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us