2 Arrested in Violent Road Rage on I-95 in Conn. - NECN


The latest news from around the state

2 Arrested in Violent Road Rage on I-95 in Conn.

State Police Investigate Road Rage Shooting Incident on I95

Two drivers wound up in Yale New Haven hospital late Thursday after a road rage incident led to an assault and a shooting. (Published Friday, June 26, 2015)

Two people have been arrested in connection with a road rage incident in Orange on Friday.

One person was slashed and another was shot during a violent road rage incident that prompted police to close a ramp to Interstate 95 North in Orange on Friday morning.

Police responded to I-95 north near exit 41 around 9 p.m. after a report of a road rage incident and determined that people in a car a tractor trailer had both been heading north near exit 40 when something happened to spark the road rage.

The driver of the car, identified as Juan Calderon, 33, of Orange pulled off the highway at exit 41. The truck driver, identified as Jesus Izaguirre, 39, of Hidalgo, TX, pulled over, got out of the truck, ran up to the driver’s side of the other car as it was stopped at the end of the ramp, hit the car with something and cut Calderon’s face, police said.

As Izaguirre was heading back to his truck, Calderon chased him, pulled a 9mm semi-automatic pistol, fired several shots and shot Izaguirre several times, police said.

Izaguirre got back into his truck and headed north on I-95 until stopping in the area of exit 44, where state troopers met up with him.

Both men were transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Western District Major Crime Detectives responded to the scene and took over the investigation.

Izaguirre was released from YNHH on Sunday and taken into custody by troopers. He is charged with first-degree criminal attempt of assault, second-degree assault, and first degree reckless endangerment.

Izaguirre is being held on $500,000 bond and expected in Milford Superior Court Monday.

Calderon turned himself in to police on Sunday. He is charged with criminal attempt to commit murder, first-degree reckless endangerment, first-degree assault, and unlawful discharge of a firearm. He is being held on a $250,000 bond and is expected in Milford Superior Court on Monday.

Police noted Calderon had a valid pistol permit.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information should call State Police Detective Allegro at 203-696-2565.