Annual Toy Run Parade Canceled by United Bikers of Maine Following NTSB Report - NECN
Maine

Maine

The latest news from around the state

Annual Toy Run Parade Canceled by United Bikers of Maine Following NTSB Report

The group cancelled this year's event after the NTSB issued a report April 3 on a fatal September 2017 crash that took place during the Toy Run parade

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Annual Maine Motorcycle Ride Canceled After NTSB Report

    An annual Maine motorcycle ride that drew thousands has been canceled after a report from the National Transportation Safety Board regarding a fatal 2017 crash.

    (Published Friday, April 26, 2019)

    An annual Maine motorcycle ride that drew thousands has been canceled after a report from federal investigators.

    The National Transportation Safety Board issued a report April 3 on a fatal 2017 crash during the Toy Run parade, a charity ride organized by the United Bikers of Maine.

    The event has taken place for roughly 40 years with as many as 3,000 motorcyclists gathering and joining with the cost of admission being a toy that’s then donated to a child in need.

    But the Sept. 10, 2017 tragedy has caused UBM to pause and reassess the event for the second year in a row.

    Astronauts Make History With NASA's First All-Female Spacewalk

    [NATL] Astronauts Make History With NASA's First All-Female Spacewalk

    American astronauts Jessica Meir and Christina Koch made history Friday with NASA's first all-female spacewalk. The astronauts walked outside the International Space Station to replace a faulty battery.

    (Published 3 hours ago)

    In 2018, the group changed the route of the ride to exclude the stretch of Interstate 95 north in Augusta where the crash happened. In 2019, after the release of the report, UBM announced it would cancel the parade indefinitely.

    “If it’s too big to manage, then we need to take a look at it,” said Sandy Lyle, the public relations director for UBM.

    The 15 page NTSB report outlines that the one of the motorcyclists, 25-year-old Aaron White-Sevigny of Windsor suddenly crossed from the right to the left lane of the highway and smashed into a pickup truck driven by William Nusom.

    The truck then spun across the highway, killing another motorcyclist, 58-year-old Jamie Gross, and injuring six other people.

    UBM and the Augusta Police Department are cited by the NTSB in its report for not mitigating safety risks like having a state trooper present for the parade.

    In past years, a state trooper had been present to manage the highway portion of the ride where Augusta Police have no jurisdiction, but in 2017, there wasn’t one.

    South Philly Explosions Seen from Inside the Facility

    [NATL-PHI] Philadelphia Refinery Explosions Seen From Facility Cameras

    Cameras inside the Philadelphia Energy Solutions refinery caught on video the massive blasts early June 21 from just yards away. Here is what explosions of hundreds of thousands of pounds of explosive chemicals looks like up close. The video is from Philadelphia Energy Solutions, via the U.S. Chemical Safety Board.

    (Published Thursday, Oct. 17, 2019)

    “If a state trooper had been there or wouldn’t have been there, that’s Monday morning quarterbacking,” said Lyle. “Safety is paramount.”

    This year, UBM says it is proceeding with an abundance of caution and will only collect toys at the Augusta Civic Center.

    The group’s president, Dave Hasey, says bikers can come and go on their own as they please, but there will be no formal group ride.

    “The safest move for motorcyclists all the way around was not to have the parade,” said Hasey. “It was a very hard decision.”

    The bikers say there is a small chance that a better safety plan could bring back the parade in years to come.

    Augusta Police Chief Jared Mills released a written statement earlier this week on the NTSB report saying the department “has the utmost respect for NTSB” and “their best practices will be applied” to city procedure going forward.

    Tentative Deal Reached Between UAW and GM

    [NATL] Tentative Deal Reached Between UAW and GM

    A tentative deal between General Motors and the United Auto Workers has been reached and could bring an end to a strike which began in September.

    (Published Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2019)

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android