Man Facing Charges After Police Involved Shooting in Falmouth, Massachusetts - NECN


The latest news from around the state

Man Facing Charges After Police Involved Shooting in Falmouth, Massachusetts

Police were called to sober house on Teaticket Highway where man barricaded himself in bedroom with gun for hours



    Man Shot by Police on Cape Facing Charges

    A man shot by police early Saturday morning in Falmouth, Massachusetts, is facing charges after authorities say he pointed a gun at officers. (Published Saturday, Dec. 10, 2016)

    A man is facing a number of charges following a police involved shooting early Saturday morning in Falmouth, Massachusetts.

    Police said the shooting happened at a sober house on Teaticket Highway at about 1 a.m., after an intoxicated man barricaded himself in his bedroom for hours with a firearm.

    Officers first arrived to the scene at 8:09 p.m. Friday after receiving a 911 call that the man was making threats to kill himself. Police evacuated the residence and were told by witnesses that the man was holding a firearm to his head.

    "I looked out the window and looked all around and there was police over there and an ambulance," said neighbor Jean Burnett. "It's scary. Very scary."

    According to a neighbor, police told area residents to evacuate their homes around the same time and a portion of the roadway was shutdown as a safety precaution.

    "My wife said, 'can I see an ID, and the cop just said, 'leave,'" recalled neighbor Arthur Thomas.

    Police made contact with the man inside the house via cellular phone, but he refused to surrender.

    A special response team was then called in to assist. When negotiations failed, police said the special response team made entry into the house. Authorities said that's when the man pointed the gun at officers and was shot.

    Police said the man suffered a single gunshot wound to his hip area. He was first transported to Falmouth Hospital then to a Boston hospital for treatment of non life threatening injuries.

    No officers were injured during the incident.

    The man, who has not been identified, is facing a number of charges including assault by means of a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and firearm violation — with one prior violent crime.

    The incident is under investigation by the Cape and Islands District Attorney's Office.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android