Report: Pittsfield Home Where Couple Died in Fire Had 1 Smoke Detector - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Report: Pittsfield Home Where Couple Died in Fire Had 1 Smoke Detector

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Report: Pittsfield Home Where Couple Died in Fire Had 1 Smoke Detector

    Fire officials in Pittsfield say a home where an elderly couple died in a fire had only one smoke detector that was on a basement shelf.

    The fire that broke out just before 4 a.m. Thursday killed 74-year-old Raymond Kinsella and 73-year-old Beverly Kinsella. The couple's adult daughter, who lived with her parents, managed to escape but suffered minor burns.

    Fire department spokeswoman Cindy Ouellette told The Berkshire Eagle there were no smoke alarms on the first or second floors. She said the lone detector was on a basement shelf and went off as the family was sleeping.

    Officials said it is important to have detectors on all levels of a home.

    White Official Tells Black Woman He Belonged to Master Race

    [NATL] White Official Tells Black Woman He Belonged to Master Race

    Some Leavenworth County, Kansas, officials are calling for Commissioner Louis Klemp's resignation after he insulted a black woman who had just presented a land-use study to the commission. "I don't want you to think I am picking on you because we are part of the master race. You have a gap in your teeth. We are part of the master race, don't you forget that," Klemp said. 

    (Published Friday, Nov. 16, 2018)

    Fire Chief Robert Czerwinski says the cause of the fire was likely an electrical cord that short circuited.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android