Smoking Materials Blamed for Fatal Massachusetts Fire - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Smoking Materials Blamed for Fatal Massachusetts Fire

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Smoking Materials Blamed for Fatal Massachusetts Fire

    Smoking materials are being blamed for a house fire that ultimately claimed the life of a 69-year-old man.

    Jennifer Mieth, spokeswoman for the Massachusetts fire marshal's office, says it appears Thursday's fire in the Florence section of Northampton started between two recliners in a den. She says there was "ample evidence'' of smoking in that area. Other causes for the blaze have been ruled out.

    State and local fire investigators also found there were two battery-operated smoke detectors in the home that didn't have batteries and therefore weren't working.

    The man was pulled from the fire by Northampton firefighters early Thursday morning and taken to an area hospital, where he died from his injuries. The man's name will be released once he's been formally identified by the medical examiner's office.

    Cokie Roberts Dies at 75

    [NATL] Cokie Roberts Dies at 75

    Longtime political journalist Cokie Roberts has died at the age of 75.

    (Published Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2019)

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android