Bail Set at $5K for Suspect in Near-Fatal South End Assault of 22-Year-Old - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Bail Set at $5K for Suspect in Near-Fatal South End Assault

Chris Smith, 22, had to undergo emergency brain surgery after being attacked in Boston's South End neighborhood on Feb. 9

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Suspect Arraigned in South End Assault

    A Massachusetts man connected to the near-fatal assault of a 22-year-old in the South End was arraigned on charges Thursday.

    (Published Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2019)

    A Massachusetts man connected to the near-fatal assault of a 22-year-old in South End earlier this month has turned himself in, according to the Boston Police Department.

    Michael Kenney, 40, was arrested after turning himself in shortly after 4 p.m. Tuesday at the front desk of Boston's South End police department station, officials said.

    His bail was set at $5,000 cash at his arraignment on Wednesday.

    "My client has no criminal record," said defense attorney Michael Dolin. "He spoke to the police yesterday. He plead not guilty and he looks forward to litigating this case in front of a jury of his peers."

    South End Assault Suspect Turns Himself In

    [NECN] South End Assault Suspect Turns Himself In

    Boston Police said a Massachusetts man connected to the near-fatal assault of a 22-year-old in the South End earlier this month has turned himself in.

    (Published Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2019)

    Kenney and two other men allegedly assaulted Chris Smith so severely that he had to undergo emergency brain surgery.

    At about 2:45 a.m. on Feb. 9, police responded to a radio call for a person screaming for help near Harrison Avenue and Fay Street. There, they saw Smith suffering from life-threatening injuries in a semi-conscious state. He was rushed to Tufts Medical Center for emergency treatment.

    "They came up behind me and hit me in the back of the head," Smith told NBC10 Boston. "I hit my head off this pavement and I woke up in the ICU the next day."

    Shortly after the assault, Boston police released black-and-white surveillance images of two men and two women believed to be connected to the attack. The rest of the persons of interest have not been identified.

    Kenney, a Weymouth resident, was charged with assault and battery causing serious bodily injury and assault and battery.

    The suspect's brother and sister-in-law said they were "shocked" by the allegations.

    22-Year-Old Survives Violent South End Attack

    [NECN] 22-Year-Old Survives Violent South End Attack

    A 22-year-old received emergency brain surgery after he was assaulted in Boston's South End neighborhood.

    (Published Thursday, Feb. 14, 2019)

    "He's a great person. He works every day," said Kenney's sister-in-law. "We're very shocked by what the allegations are."

    Police said the investigation is ongoing. There is no word yet on any charges against the other three people seen in the surveillance images.

    Kenney is scheduled to return to court on March 29.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android