US Ends Syria Stabilization Funding, Cites More Cash From Allies - NECN
President Donald Trump

President Donald Trump

The latest news on President Donald Trump's presidency

US Ends Syria Stabilization Funding, Cites More Cash From Allies

The move was seen as a sign the administration is heeding Trump's demand to end U.S. involvement in Syria and reduce its commitment there

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    US Ends Syria Stabilization Funding, Cites More Cash From Allies
    Sergei Grits/AP
    In this photo taken on Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018, Syrians sit in the square in the city of Aleppo, Syria.

    What to Know

    • The Trump administration was telling Congress Friday it wouldn't spend $200 million on Syria stabilization projects as planned, sources said

    • The sources said the cut will be more than offset by an additional $300 million pledged by coalition partners

    • The move is a sign the administration is heeding the president's demand to end U.S. involvement in Syria and reducing its commitment there

    The Trump administration is ending funding for Syria stabilization projects as it moves to extricate the U.S. from the conflict, citing increased contributions from anti-Islamic State coalition partners.

    The State Department said it had notified Congress on Friday that it would not spend some $230 million that had been planned for Syria programs and would instead shift that money to other areas. Most of that money, initially pledged by former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in February, had been on hold and under review since he was fired in March. A small fraction of that amount was released in June.

    State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the cut, which was authorized by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and does not include humanitarian aid funds, will be more than offset by an additional $300 million pledged by coalition partners, including $100 million that Saudi Arabia announced it had contributed late Thursday.

    "As a result of key partner contributions by coalition members, Secretary Pompeo has authorized the Department of State to redirect approximately $230 million in stabilization funds for Syria which have been under review," she said in a statement.

    CIA: Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Journalist's Murder

    [NATL] CIA: Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Journalist's Murder

    Calling Saudi Arabia a "great ally," President Donald Trump declined to stand behind the CIA's claim that Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman, was responsible for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. 

    (Published Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2018)

    Nauert said Pompeo's decision took into account the White House's desire to increase burden sharing with allies.

    The funds will be redirected "to support other key foreign policy priorities," said Nauert, who along with other officials rejected suggestions that the elimination of the funds showed diminishing U.S. interest in Syria.

    Nauert, along with David Satterfield, the acting assistant secretary of state for the Middle East, and Brett McGurk, the special envoy for the anti-IS coalition, told reporters on a conference call that the U.S. would remain active in Syria until the Islamic State has been defeated.

    "This decision does not represent any lessening of U.S. commitment to our strategic goals in Syria," Nauert said.

    Still, the move was seen as a sign the administration is heeding Trump's demand to end U.S. involvement in Syria and reduce its commitment there.

    "This is astonishingly shortsighted," Democrats on the House Foreign Affairs Committee tweeted. They called it a "lack of US leadership" and said it was "undercutting US interests in Syria and around the world."

    Ivanka Trump Used Personal Email for Government Work: Report

    [NATL] Ivanka Trump Used Personal Email for White House Work: Report

    Emails uncovered by a liberal watchdog group found that first daughter Ivanka Trump, a presidential adviser, used a personal email account to send hundreds of emails to White House aides, cabinet members and assistants during her transition into government.

    (Published Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2018)

    In a bid to reassure its partners in the coalition against IS as well as opponents of Syrian President Bashar Assad, Pompeo appointed veteran diplomatic troubleshooter, James Jeffrey, to be a special envoy for Syria, Nauert said.

    Jeffrey, a former U.S. ambassador to Turkey, Iraq and Albania who also served as a deputy national security adviser to President George W. Bush, will hold the title of "special representative for Syrian engagement." Jeffrey, who retired in 2012, also holds the highest rank in the U.S. Foreign Service: career ambassador. He will lead U.S. efforts to reinvigorate a long-stalled peace effort known as the "Geneva Process" between Assad, the opposition and other countries with equities in Syria, Nauert said.

    Yet Friday's funding cut is the latest Trump administration financial retreat from Syria. In May, the State Department announced that it had ended all funding for stabilization programs in Syria's northwest. IS militants have been almost entirely eliminated from that region, which is controlled by a hodgepodge of other extremist groups and government forces.

    In June, the administration freed up a small portion — $6.6 million — of the $200 million that Tillerson had pledged in order to continue funding for the White Helmets, a Syrian civil defense organization, and the International, Impartial and Independent Mechanism, a U.N. agency that is investigating war crimes committed during the conflict.

    That left $193.4 million in limbo that would have had to have been returned to the Treasury Department on Sept. 30 at the end of this budget year if it had remained unspent.

    Last month, the U.S. helped to organize the evacuation through Israel of White Helmet workers from Syria's south, where Assad's Russian-backed forces launched a new offensive despite a de-escalation agreement between Washington and Moscow.

    Judge Blocks Trump's Migrant Non-Port of Entry Asylum Ban

    [NATL] Judge Blocks Trump's Migrant Non-Port of Entry Asylum Ban

    An order from a federal judge overnight barred the Trump administration from blocking asylum requests from migrants who cross the U.S.-Mexico border illegally. This happens as a caravan criticized by President Donald Trump arrived in Tijuana, Mexico, across the border from San Diego. 

    (Published Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2018)

    Nauert said that Friday's decision would not affect "life-saving, needs-based humanitarian assistance to vulnerable Syrians" or U.S. support for the White Helmets or the U.N. mechanism.