Massive fire damages vacant Seekonk, Mass. mill

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

May 1, 2012, 9:45 am

(NECN: Eileen Curran, Seekonk, Mass.) Residents in Seekonk, Mass. woke up to sounds of a explosions and the glow of a huge mill fire around 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning.

The fire was put out by 9 a.m., with some hot spots and flare-ups that firefighters were monitoring.

There was still a massive amount of smoke pouring out of the remains of the empty mill.

The building had been condemned two years prior to the fire.

The fire chief described the scene upon arrival.

"The rear portion of the building, which is unaccessible to roadway, was heavily involved in fire, we had a partial collapse," the fire chief said.

"There were a large number of explosions when we arrived, in probably the first hour - hour and a half. There was some propane in the building we noticed, we do know that there was propane explosions. I've been told that there was a fuel storage tank inside the building that had not been emptied, I'm not sure of that. We do know that there were explosions caused by propane tanks that were in the building. At that time, the main objective was to try to secure the building and keep from extension to surrounding structures. It took us a little while to do that, because of water accessibly and we were finally able to accomplish that."

The fire chief believes someone got inside the fire, and, either accidentally, or on purpose, started the fire.

There was initial concern because of the thick, black smoke emerging from the building. The mill was once used as a dye manufacturer, so firefighters were concerned of toxic chemicals being exposed to firefighters and neighbors.

The State Fire Marshal's Office is investigating.

No injuries were reported, and no businesses were damaged in the building.

Tags: mill fire, Seekonk, Mass., Eileen Curran, Seekonk mill fire
Reports of partial building and roof collapses; no immediate reports of serious injuries
A severe storm touched down in the city, causing flooding and damage to buildings
Police in Duxbury, Mass. responded to report of suspicious package in intersection