Within the past five years, six adults with cognitive impairment have died from ingesting brightly colored laundry detergent pods. During the same time, two children died from doing the same.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the numbers indicate that the pods, which some argue closely resemble sweets or candy, pose more of a danger to adults with dementia than they do to children.
The deaths were first revealed by independent non-profit consumer advocacy group Consumer Reports after it filed a Freedom of Information Act Request with the CPSC. The CPSC told NBC News it was aware of five such deaths in the U.S. and one in Canada.