2 Flown to Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - NECN

2 Flown to Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Seven hospitalized two flown for hyperbaric treatment (Published Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2015)

    LifeStar transported two people suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning from Rockville Hospital to another hospital in Rhode Island Monday.

    You can't see it, you can't smell it, but carbon monoxide can kill you.

    A family of seven was transported to a local hospital after a carbon monoxide leak from the furnace in Vernon on Monday morning. In that incident, officials said the family members were taken to the hospital as a precaution and there did not appear to be serious injuries. 

    Two people among the seven had so much CO in their blood medics flew them to a hospital in Rhode Island for hyperbaric oxygen treatment.

    Dr. Danyal Ibrahim, chief of toxicology at Saint Francis Hospital in Hartford says CO poisoning kills more than 400 Americans every year.

    "Headache, achy all over, feeling weak, upset stomach, throwing up, chest pains, you can see these symptoms can mimic cold or flu-like symptoms," he said.

    If you suspect CO poisoning, he said, opening the windows may not be enough. You need to get out of the enclosed area and make sure everyone else is up and out.

    And don't forget to make sure the batteries are fresh in your CO detector.