Residents have been allowed to return home after a neighborhood was evacuated due to a gas leak Tuesday afternoon in Peabody, Massachusetts.
Police say homes within 1,000 feet of where the leak was detected at 88 Bartholomew Rd. were evacuated, as were homes on Starbard Terrace and Oak Avenue.
Residents reported smelling a strong odor of gas in the area. Police and fire crews responded alongside National Grid around 2 p.m.
People were allowed back in their homes around 4:30 p.m. Gas service has been restored.
Repairs are expected to be finished Tuesday night.