Statement of Facts Released In Deadly Massachusetts Restaurant Crash | NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Statement of Facts Released In Deadly Massachusetts Restaurant Crash

Bradford Casler is accused of crashing a vehicle into Sweet Tomatoes in Newton in March

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    New details have emerged in the deadly crash at a Massachusetts pizza restaurant, where two people were killed and seven others were injured in March. (Published Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2016)

    New details are emerging in the deadly crash at a restaurant in Newton, Massachusetts. A judge decided to release the Commonwealth's statement of facts, despite concerns from the defense that it would taint the public's view.

    Bradford Casler is accused of crashing a vehicle into Sweet Tomatoes in Newton back in March, which ultimately killed two people and injured seven.

    Casler's defense attorney had asked the judge to impound the Commonwealth's six-page statement of the case at a hearing last week. He said it was one-sided and without cross-examination. Prosecutors argued it only contained the facts from the investigation.

    They are facts that are now public after a redacted version of the document was released.

    It includes quotes from several witnesses who told police Casler was speeding before the crash. According to the statement, one witness said he was going 70-80 mph and that she "heard wind sounds as the vehicle passed her."

    The statement also details the force and impact of the crash, saying Casler's vehicle was fast enough it to move two 3,095 pound pizza ovens nearly 4 feet.

    Volkswagen engineers said Casler's engine shut down during the crash, which is a feature of the vehicle. Before it was shut down, it was going 45-52 mph.

    The document also states, "there is no indication that the defendant applied his emergency brake or sounded his vehicle's horn to alert the people in his path."

    The aftermath of the crash and part of the reconstruction analysis were redacted.

    Casler has pleaded not guilty and was released on his own recognizance.

    The case is scheduled for a pre-trial conference on October 13.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android