Local

Deadline Arrives for Landlord to Fix Violations After Fatal Fire

A city spokeswoman says Gregory Nisbet has until Monday to bring his Dartmouth Street property up to code

Portland Fire1
NECN

The deadline is arriving for the landlord of a Portland, Maine, apartment building in which six people died in a fire to fix safety code violations at another building he owns.

A city spokeswoman says Gregory Nisbet has until Monday to bring his Dartmouth Street property up to code. The 10 alleged violations include electrical problems, the use of extension cords as permanent wiring, and improper storage of combustible materials.

Nisbet owned a Noyes Street home that burned down in November in Maine's deadliest fire in 40 years. That fire was ruled an accident caused by improper disposal of smoking materials. Nisbet's attorney says the problems at the Dartmouth Street house were caused by tenants who have since been evicted.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us