Two people have been displaced after a fire ravaged a Glastonbury, Connecticut, home overnight and was still smoldering Sunday morning just before 6 a.m.
Flames broke out on the first floor of a house at 214 Foote Road and quickly spread. Firefighters were called to the seen close to 12:30 a.m.
"First arriving officers had fire showing in the back of the house," Glastonbury Fire Chief Michael Thurz said. "Fully involved. The fire quickly spread to the rest of the house. All the occupants got out of the house. As you can see the house is a total loss."
The two women living in the home have been accounted for and are safe, but their house was destroyed. It's not clear if they were both home at the time of the fire. There were no injuries.
There are no hydrants in the area, so the Glastonbury Fire Department had to call for mutual aid.
The fire is the second blaze Glastonbury firefighters have had to fight within 24 hours. A truck fire in a garage spread to a home, displacing three on Saturday afternoon.
The cold weather and ice created additional challenges in fighting both fires and made battling the overnight fire particularly difficult.
"We did have a couple falls on the ice," Glastonbury Fire Chief Michael Thurz said. "Nothing serious, nothing life threatening, they were treated and released on scene. one of our pumps did freeze. So, yeah, the cold can definitely hamper our operations."